These are the very best dairy-free chocolate chip cookies ever. Made in one bowl, the easy recipe results in ooey-gooey, oh-so-soft, crisp and chewy, perfect chocolate chip cookies every time. Plus, we have a few tricks for making these cookies vegan and/or gluten-free too!
We bake. A lot. And cookies are pretty much a staple in our house. Once I stumbled upon these amazing dairy-free chocolate chip cookies, I knew we had found a winner. These chocolate chip cookies are going in our cookie rotation for sure.
I’m all for cookie recipes that we can alter to fit our family. For instance, all variations of vegan and dairy-free cookies are typically at the top of our list, since our oldest is allergic to milk protein. We have a vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe that we love, and I’ve made that version again and again. That vegan chocolate chip cookie is delicious. It’s more reminiscent of a buttery shortbread cookie, flecked with chunks of chocolate, and has a bit more crunch to it. (We’re always experimenting with vegan and dairy-free recipes, in case you’re interested.)
But I was determined to find an ooey, gooey, chewy dairy-free chocolate chip cookie that tasted just like a classic Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookie … without the dairy.
This perfect dairy-free chocolate chip cookie is it!! These are by far the BEST dairy-free chocolate chip cookies I have ever made.
It’s an utterly delicious chocolate chip cookie, that happens to work really well dairy-free, vegan, and/or gluten-free!
Amazing Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
As I said, I tweaked and tested, and finally, have found what we think is the very best chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe. So good, in fact, that we ate every last cookie in a matter of days, and the kids keep begging me to make another batch already.
These chocolate chip cookies are totally amazing, and honestly, when we made our own dairy-free version, you would never, ever know that that version was dairy-free.
What Makes these Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies the Best?
Perfect Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies are soft on the inside, chewy on the outside, with crisp edges and plenty of rich chocolate speckled throughout every bite. They’re ooey gooey, chewy, and crispy. Perfect dairy-free chocolate chip cookies aren’t too flat, nor too puffy or weirdly cake-like.
Basically, these Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies are a dead ringer for a classic chocolate chip cookie; one that no one would guess is actually dairy-free. (And trust me, that’s a feat in and of itself; plenty of vegan and dairy-free chocolate chip cookies taste strangely fake or too healthy or have a strange after taste.)
Not these. These dairy-free chocolate chip cookies are perfect. Just perfect.
What You’ll Need to Make Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- 1 egg (or flax egg for vegan cookies)
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) earth balance vegan butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus more if needed (or gluten free flour of your choice)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy chocolate chips
To Make Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- In a large bowl using a handheld mixer or a stand mixer, beat the softened vegan butter for a minute until creamy. Next, add in the brown sugar and mix for 1-2 minutes, until fluffy and well combined.
- Add the vanilla and the egg and mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch (or tapioca starch), baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, turn the mixer on low speed, and mix until just combined.
- Add in the chocolate chips to incorporate, either by hand or with a spoon until they are evenly distributed.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer, form a large dough ball with your hands in the base of your bowl. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, and up to 1 day. (If you need to skip the chilling part, the cookies will turn out fine, just not quite as thick and chewy.)
- After the cookie dough has chilled, remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow it to sit on the counter for about 5-15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Roll the dough into balls, roughly 1-2 tablespoons each. Bake for 10 minutes (12 minutes for larger cookies), until they are just lightly golden. Don’t over bake. (The cookies will look puffy and lightly colored. That’s perfect!)
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes and then transfer with a spatula to a cooling rack. The cookies will firm up as they cool, and become the most perfect chewy, amazing chocolate chip cookies! Enjoy!
The full, printable recipe for the amazing dairy-free chocolate chip cookies is below!
A few Tricks for Perfect Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies:
Refrigerate your dough before baking. After you’ve made your cookie dough, you’re going to cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes, and up to 1 day. (You can skip the chilling part, but the cookies won’t turn out as thick and chewy.)
The secret to keeping the centers of these chocolate chip cookies so ooey gooey is to not over-bake them. I find that with most cookies, it’s best to keep the center ever so slightly soft, thought not quite underdone. Just pop the baking sheet of cookies out of the oven once they’re just baked and allow them to cool. They’ll actually come together a bit more during the cooling process, so fret not. (That is, of course, if you don’t try to eat them piping hot and out of the oven from the get-go!)
You can freeze the cookie dough balls for later! Yep, that’s right: freeze cookie dough balls to have on hand to make just a few cookies at a time! Just be sure to bake your frozen cookie dough balls for 1-2 minutes more, no need to thaw.
To Store Cookies:
The chocolate chip cookies should keep in an airtight container for about 5 days (if they last that long without being gobbled up!)
I’m a big fan of Pyrex Ultimate Glass Storage and we just ordered this OXO POP 3qt Airtight Cookie Jar to start keeping our cookies fresh longer. I like the angled shape and that the plastic and push button top lid should be easier for the kids to open themselves!
Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips
Trader Joe’s brand of semi-sweet chocolate chips also happen to be vegan (just double check the label to be sure you’re getting the right kind), as are Guittard.
For Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies:
Substitute the egg for a flax egg. To make a flax egg, mix together one 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed and 2.5 tablespoons water in a small bowl and set aside until you are ready to add the “egg.”
For Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies:
Substitute the flour for almond flour, gluten free oat flour, or gluten free baking flour. We’ve actually made these with almond flour and they were delicious! With almond flour, they’re a perfect Passover cookie!
How to Make the Most Amazing Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Make these incredible dairy-free chocolate chip cookies in a few super simple steps! Made in one bowl, the easy recipe results in ooey gooey, oh-so-soft, crisp and chewy, perfect chocolate chip cookies every time. Plus, we have a few tricks for making these cookies vegan and/or gluten-free too!
Read on for the recipe.
*To make these chocolate chip cookies VEGAN, mix 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed and 2.5 tablespoons water in a small bowl and set aside until you're ready to add the egg. **To make these chocolate chip cookies GLUTEN FREE, substitute almond flour or gluten free oat flour or gluten free baking mix for the regular all purpose flour.
*To make these chocolate chip cookies VEGAN, mix 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed and 2.5 tablespoons water in a small bowl and set aside until you're ready to add the egg.
**To make these chocolate chip cookies GLUTEN FREE, substitute almond flour or gluten free oat flour or gluten free baking mix for the regular all purpose flour.
They’ll settle into the most glorious, perfect, chewy, ooey gooey chocolate chip cookies once they’ve had time to settle and come together a few minutes out of the oven. I swear half the magic happens once they’re out of the oven and they have time to cool.
Guys, make these cookies. They’ll instantly become your new go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe. Promise.
More Delicious Dairy-Free and Vegan Cookie Recipes from Glitter, Inc.:
SHOP THE DAIRY-FREE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES RECIPE POST | CLICK LEFT & RIGHT ARROWS TO EXPLORE
If you make your own amazing dairy-free chocolate chip cookies, be sure to tag me on social media (@glitterinclexi) so I can live vicariously through all of your sweet creations! Plus, I’d love to hear how yours turn out (and if you’re just as obsessed as we are!)