lIt’s finally here!! Our review of the Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double Stroller; and how we decided on the right double stroller(s) for our growing family.
Y’all; I am so excited to share today’s baby gear review post! I get SO many questions about this double stroller* – the Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double Stroller, and after using it for months, I finally feel like I’m able to confidently share the good and the bad abut this workhorse of a double stroller.
*By the way, don’t be shy! I get questions all of the time via e-mail and Direct Message (DM) over on Instagram. I LOVE helping other mamas find their perfect stroller, pick a family-friendly spot to vacation, shop for the cutest baby clothes on Amazon, and answer where-oh-where we get all of the adorable bows for our girls, to name a few!
Side Note: if anyone has the secret sauce for getting all of their kids to smile in unison for photos, that’d be great! Until then, please enjoy Scarlett hamming it up for the camera (for ONCE!), while Emmeline shows her obvious displeasure at being made to pose in the sunshine.
Deciding on the Right Double Stroller for Your Growing Family
Now let’s talk about that double stroller, and how to decide on the right double stroller for your growing family!
When we first found out we were pregnant with baby number two, I immediately thought about the possibility of a dedicated double stroller. And then I researched like a madwoman. Truth is, we have and love the UPPAbaby Vista – which can convert into a double stroller – and it was one of the main selling points when we settled on that stroller. I still love and adore (and sometimes worship) our UPPAbaby Vista as both a single and double stroller, and you can read my full review here; but, I couldn’t help but wonder how much a side-by-side double stroller might help things.
Here’s the truth about tandem double strollers: Not all of the conifgurations work for a baby and older child on a tandem stroller, and once you add a second seat to a tandem stroller, it does get harder to maneuver and harder to break-down/store.
Because we have the room to store two bigger strollers in our garage, going for the Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double Stroller was an easy decision for us. I have LOVED it ever since. And truthfully, I love both our UPPAbaby Vista and our Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double Stroller, but for different reasons and uses.
When deciding on the right double stroller for your growing family, you have to really consider your own lifestyle and how you plan to use the stroller? Do you want a dedicated double stroller, or would you prefer a stroller where you can switch back and forth from a single to a double stroller? Do you run/jog often and need an actual jogging stroller? Do you live in a city where a stroller is your main mode of transportation? How important is a storage basket to you? The list goes on and on.
So here goes …
A Review of the Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double Stroller
The Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double Stroller came to us HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I know SO many parents who own some variation of the Baby Jogger City Mini Stroller, and it’s popular for a reason.
The Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double Stroller is a side-by-side style of double stroller, with two seats facing outward; and the best part: despite being very roomy for each of your kiddos, it fits through a standard size doorway. It also has a surprisingly compact fold and is a great stroller for storing in more narrow/compact spaces, including in my trunk, allowing me to still fit plenty of grocery bags, luggage when we travel, etc.
Unlike traditional jogger strollers with their single, larger front wheel design, the City Mini Double has four dual-swivel front wheels, making it easily maneuverable around town. It has SUCH a smooth ride, and it’s incredibly easy to push, despite the weight of it when carrying two kids. The wheels can also be locked into place for an even smoother ride over long distances. Both seats in the double stroller recline to a nearly flat position, which is awesome for nap time. The seats provide lots of padding and a five-point restraint, and fabric that is so easy to clean. Storage pockets line the back of the two seats (LOVE those!) and a basket underneath the stroller provides some extra storage. (Note: I can fit my purse in the basket, but the diaper bag can be trickier. I am a chronic overpacker.) The individual UV 50+ sun canopies have windows so you can peek at your little ones; both canopies can be adjusted individually and are very oversized.
As your kids and/or needs grow, you can customize your City Mini Double Stroller with accessories like a Snack Tray, Liquid Holster, a.k.a., cup holder for parents, Glider Board, Parent Console, Bassinet/Pram, etc.
Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double Stroller PROS
A few of our absolute favorite features of the Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double Stroller are:
- Quick-fold – and lock – with one-hand operation. Also, very intutive and simple to open. (And that’s saying a lot, since I am the queen of cursing a stroller to the high heavens when I can’t get it opened or closed. I’ve consulted many a Youtube video in a busy parking lot, trying to figure that out!)
- The City Mini GT has a few features not available on the standard City Mini including all-terrain wheels, a hand-operated parking brake, and an adjustable handlebar. We love all of those features, and I think those things make the GT upgrade totally worth it!
- Can be customized with accessories like a Snack Tray, Liquid Holster, a.k.a., cup holder for parents, Glider Board, Parent Console, Bassinet/Pram, etc.
- Reclining seats can be used for infants, or napping big kids. The seats recline really far back, which is great. The recline is also really smooth, and quiet, so you shouldn’t wake up sleeping babies as you recline them.
- 100-pound weight capacity makes it ideal for older twins and big kids too. Each seat on the double stroller is incredibly roomy and has a tall seat back and longer foot well, so it’s a good fit for taller/older children. I LOVE that my older daughter can ride in this stroller for years to come. (She just turned 4 and weighs about 30 pounds, so I know we have plenty of years to grow.)
- This stroller gets RAVE reviews from our oldest, Scarlett. She calls it the “comfy stroller.”
- The hoods on each seat are huge and really keep the girls protected from the elements.
- It can be made into a travel system with car seat adapters. (More on how we use the Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double Stroller Travel System below.)
Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double Stroller CONS
Like any product, there are always a few drawbacks. While I LOVE this double stroller, a few cons that I can think of include:
- The weight: this stroller is heavy, and getting it in and out of trunks, etc. can sometimes be a bear (though in truth, it’s no heavier than most of it’s competitors.)
- The wide profile may not fit through some narrow doorways; this is especially problematic in cities like New York with older buildings. But, I will say, that I have brought this stroller to New York, and we really didn’t have any problems. I also like how compact it can fold up; unlike our UPPAbaby VISTA Stroller, which is very hard to fold up with two seats attached, and poses some problems in smaller restaurants in big cities.
- The basket underneath the stroller, while not the smallest, is blocked by the bars in the design of the stroller, and it’s hard to get much in there.
- It’s on the pricey side, retailing for $400-500+.
- Accessories are sold separately.
- I’m always a bit awkward when closing the stroller. It’s clear how to do it – just pull on the two handles at the center of each of the two seats, but it’s a wide stroller, so it can sometimes be a tiny bit awkward to close. (Admittedly, this might just be user error!)
Both girls are SO comy in the Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double Stroller.
All in all, we LOVE our Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double Stroller. It’s an amazing stroller, with a smooth ride, extremely roomy seats for the kids that recline all the way back and can accomodate big kids comfortably, an easy fold, and narrow folded profile.
How We Use the Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double Stroller Travel System
Did you know you can create a travel system with any Baby Jogger stroller? Including the Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double Stroller? How cool is that?
Using the car seat adapters, we attached the Baby Jogger City GO car seat. The City GO has a taxi-safe belt path, which means you don’t have to have a base to safely install the car seat – perfect for traveling in cities like New York, Boston, London, etc. The City GO also protects infants rear-facing from 4 to 35 pounds, and our chubby-thighed 9-month old sits very comfortably in it.
By the way, if you’re looking for a single stroller travel system, the Baby Jogger City Mini GT Travel System Stroller is an amazing option.
Other Baby Jogger Accessories We Love:
- Baby Jogger Liquid Holster, a.k.a., the cup holder – this is THE cup holder. It doesn’t tip over, keeps your drink steady, and is easy to attach. We actually use it on ALL of our strollers, it’s so good.
- Baby Jogger Parent Console
- Baby Jogger Glider Board – SO easy to attach, has a nog-slip surface, is length adjustable, and attaches to the rear axle of any Baby Jogger single or double stroller. I find this one much easier to get on and off the stroller than most competitor brand glider boards.
SHOP THE BABY JOGGER CITY MINI GT DOUBLE STROLLER POST | CLICK LEFT & RIGHT ARROWS TO EXPLORE
IF YOU LOVED THIS BABY JOGGER CITY MINI GT DOUBLE STROLLER REVIEW POST, YOU CAN SEE MORE OF OUR LIFE WITH TWO LITTLE ONES, PLUS ALL OF OUR FAVORITE BABY GEAR, HERE.
Photos by Annie Watts Photography for Glitter, Inc.