You don’t have to look far to spot a beautiful vintage rug incorporated into home design. Once you’re own the lookout, you’ll likely spot vintage, berber, kilim, Persian and Turkish rugs in so many great places, even in stores, bathrooms, and the kitchen (and over on Pinterest). I mean, how great is it that we can leave behind the ugly uninspired rubber and microfiber kitchen mat of yore? Oh yeah, I said yore. Because I am never buying an ugly kitchen mat again. I practically live in my kitchen, so the idea of making our own kitchen a more inviting space sounds wonderful in my book.
Vintage, Persian, Kilim and Turkish Rugs
Whether that vintage rug you have your eye on is Persian, Kilim, Turkish, the list goes on, it’s unique and stunning and adds so much depth to a home. In my opinion, these pattern-filled, vibrant rugs all come with a story and history and give a home design so much more character.
A few tips for shopping the best vintage rugs:
- Color and Pattern: When it comes to Persian and Turkish rugs, whether you choose to go vintage or new, color and pattern are key. Bold, elaborate patterns are best with gorgeous rich pops of color; think orange, pink, deep oxblood red, blue.
- Texture: Avoid rugs with a high-pile, a.k.a., lots of texture or shag. The kitchen is a heavily trafficked area and a shaggy rug is just going to collect dirt and pasta sauce. Look for a flat weave rug (like wool) that can clean easily.
- Juxtaposition: Offset simpler spaces with one of these rugs. You’d be amazed at how much life one of these patterned rugs can give an older style or white-washed kitchen.
- The Perfect Pattern: Take the time to find the right rug that complements your design style. From personal stylist, Simone LeBlanc: “We definitely collect along the way. We love the antique rugs from Lawrence of La Brea, Madeline Weinrib’s original designs, and also find some great kilims through Etsy. We love to dig deep for the vendors shipping directly from Turkey + Morocco.” (via Mother Mag)
Where to Shop for the Best Vintage Rugs
After scouring online, I’ve found the best places to search for vintage and vintage-inspired rugs. In no particular order, my favorite online shops for cottage rug treasures are:
- eBay (huge selection, great prices, and many straight from the source);
- Revival Rugs (they have a great selection of beautiful vintage rugs, and are often recommended by flooring companies and interior designers alike);
- Shoppe by Amber Interiors (one of my favorites; such a well-curated selection);
- Lulu & Georgia (coming out with new and beautiful rugs constantly, I have fallen in love with so many designs as of late);
- Furbish Studio (bold, bright, and funky options … just look at this colorful bunch!);
- Kilim.com (they have an impressive number of great rugs);
- Chairish (couture vintage, where designers go to shop);
- You can also hunt your local flea market, yard sales, and antique stores (the best way to snatch up a gorgeous rug for less).
Shop The Vintage Rug Picks
I hope this post gives you plenty of ideas and inspiration for your own home décor. If you snag one of these gorgeous vintage rugs, be sure to tag me @glitterinclexi in your pictures on Instagram so that I can live vicariously through all of your beautiful homes!
Love this home design post? See more home décor tips, tricks, and plenty of design inspiration right here.
images via Revival Rugs