We created a portable home hairstyling box to keep all of our girls’ hair accessories organized. And let me tell you, organizing all of our girls hair accessories and everything we need to style their hair in the morning in one simple hair station has been a total GAMECHANGER. 🎀🎀🎀 Plus, I get an excuse to use a caboodle. 🤌🏻
With three little girls, getting everyone ready and out the door in the morning is a challenge. Not only is it a little wild trying to get everyone dressed and ready, lunches packed, breakfast on the table, all of the winter gear piled on, the list goes on … but goodness, do our three girls have a lot of HAIR.
Long gone are the days of rolling out of bed. They all need their hair brushed (with a few generous sprays of our favorite hair detangler) if I have any hope of actually running a brush through their long locks), and on most mornings, one, two, or all three, are asking for a cute hairstyle. Admittedly, I can’t help but put our toddlers hair in pigtails, pony tails, and tiny baby buns any chance I get, so that’s on me. 🙈
DIY Portable Home Hairstyling Caboodle Box
What finally made the morning hair routine with three girls feel just a little more realistic and doable was creating a DIY morning hairstyling system that was organized, portable, and within reach.
It all started a few months back I was wandering HomeGoods and stumbled upon an entire display of Caboodles. Be still, my nineties-loving heart. Obviously, I left with a big pink Caboodles Makeup Case.
I didn’t really need the organizer for makeup, and then it dawned on me: I could use the Caboodles Case to organize all of the girls’ many hair accessories.
Our Easy Morning Hair Routine With Three Girls
Having all of the brushes, combs, sprays, smoothing creams, hair ties, hair clips, bobby pins, and bows in one, portable secure carrying case felt revolutionary to this exhausted mama. The tiny effort at organization has made such a big difference in our already busy school morning routine. And I get to use a Caboodle; a.k.a., a three-layer storage box organizer, all over again. (You can find similar boxes here and here.)
The girls are more than happy to grab the home hairstyling box and pick out their choice of bows, butterflies, and clips and whatever hairstyle they’ve landed on for that day.
I’m no hair expert. Braids, bubble braids, messy top knots, and space buns are pretty much my “fancy hair” wheelhouse, but having everything we need for simple hairstyles, accessible has made life so much easier.
Easy DIY Home Hairstyling Kit Video
View this post on Instagram
And here’s everything I used to put together this DIY portable home hairstyling box, including all of our favorite girls hair accessories!
Our Favorite Girls Hair and Hairstyling Accessories
We stocked our DIY hair storage box with all of our favorite hair accessories for the girls. A few home hairstyling station must-haves:
- a Caboodle; a.k.a., a three-layer storage box organizer (similar boxes here and here)
- Tail Combs (Great for making even/straight parts for things like pigtails, etc.)
- Boar Bristle Smoothing Brush (This is the most amazing brush for smoothing back pony tails and buns!)
- Wet Brush (The only way to brush out tangles!)
- Detangler Spray (The UNITE Hair 7SECONDS Detangler is magic. Spray over tangles, leave on for a few seconds, and comb through with ease.)
- Hair Spray (I love this Nexxus Comb Thru Finishing Spray for the perfect soft hold.)
- Smoothing Cream (Awesome for smoothing back a bun or ponytail, or for smoothing curls.)
- Seamless Ponytail Hair Ties
- Mini Covered Elastic Hair Ties
- Clear Elastics (I have tried FOUR different brands of clear elastic hair ties and these are hands-down the best. They slide out of fine toddler hair with ease, stretch well but keep their grip, and the container comes with what feels like an endless supply.)
- Silk Satin Scrunchies (Just as good as the name brand. 😉)
- Ballet Bun Hair Nets and U-Shaped Pins (I also like this pack of u-shaped hair pins because they come with smaller pins for kids ballet buns.)
- Bobby Pins
- Floral Snap Hair Barettes
- Glitter Snap Hair Barettes
- Acrylic Resin Hair Barrettes (Perfect for pulling hair out of the face.)
- Fabric-Covered Snap Hair Barrettes
- Butterfly Mini Clip Claws
- Pearl Hair Clip Claws
- Butterfly Hair Clips (We actually got these last year for the Taylor Swift Era’s tour and since then, have become some of my daughters’ favorite hair accessories.)
- Hair Bows (Little Poppy Co. will forever be my favorite hair bows!)
- Fully Lined Fabric Baby Bows (Perfect for babies, toddlers, and pigtails.)
- Elastic Hair Tie Cutters (These make painlessly taking out elastics from baby hair and toddler hair SO much simpler!)
- Continuous Fine Mist Spray Bottle (Great for rewetting curls.)