How to Make Homemade Apple Crisp in a Slow Cooker
This simple-as-could-be slow cooker apple crisp is packed with juicy apples, warm brown sugar, and a buttery crumbly oat crisp topping.
Top with a heaping scoop of vanilla ice cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon, because you know you wanna.
For the apple filling:
- 8 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (optional; I skipped it, mostly because I don't like my desserts too sweet)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the oatmeal crisp topping:
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
Serve with vanilla ice cream on top for the ultimate dessert! (optional)
To make the apple filling:
- Place sliced apples in the slow cooker. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir. (Be sure to use a non-metal spoon so as not to scratch your slow cooker bowl.) Allow the apple filling to sit while you put together the oatmeal crisp topping.
To make the oatmeal crisp topping:
- Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Add in the butter, and using your fingertips, work the butter into the oat mixture until the mixture starts to clump together.Stir the apple mixture in your slow cooker once more and then spread the apples out into a somewhat even layer. Sprinkle the oatmeal crisp topping over the top.
To cook the apple crisp:
- Replace the lid. Cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 3-3½ hours, until apples are soft. Turn off heat and let stand for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour before serving (keeping the lid on).
Serve in bowls with heaping scoops of vanilla ice cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Hello, easy dessert!
Recipe by Glitter, Inc. at https://glitterinc.com/how-to-make-apple-crisp-in-a-slow-cooker/