Healthier Classic Tomato Soup (With Slow Cooker + Instant Pot Instructions)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 28-ounce cans diced or crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on the stove over medium-low heat. When it is warm, add the onions, salt, pepper, dried herbs, and paprika, and stir together. Cook for about 5-6 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic and tomato paste and stir to combine the tomato paste with the other ingredients. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring every now and then.
- Add the cans of tomatoes and chicken or vegetable stock. Increase the heat to medium or medium-high and allow the mixture to boil. When the soup begins to boil, reduce the heat and bring it to a simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Add the white beans. Use an immersion blender to blend all of the tomatoes and white beans until the soup is smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, carefully pour the soup into your blender (you may need to do this in batches) and blend until smooth. If you want a thicker consistency, continue to let the soup simmer after blending. The longer you simmer the more water will evaporate, and the thicker the soup will be. If you like the consistency as is, serve right away with grilled cheese or crackers!
To make this in a slow cooker:
Follow the instructions above until you finish cooking the onions, spices, garlic, and tomato paste. Pour those prepared ingredients into a crockpot and add the tomatoes, stock, and beans. Let the mixture cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. If too much liquid evaporates, you may need to add additional stock. The soup should be simmering. Once the soup has simmered in the slow cooker, use an immersion blender to blend all of the ingredients together.
For an instant pot:
Use the simmer feature to cook the onions, spices, garlic, and tomato paste. Add the tomatoes, stock, and beans, and then cook either on the slow cook setting or on the meat/stew setting (for up to one hour.) Once cooked through, use an immersion blender to blend all of the ingredients together.
Recipe by Glitter, Inc. at https://glitterinc.com/healthier-protein-packed-classic-tomato-soup-that-can-be-made-in-a-slow-cooker/