Now that we’re well into summer, it’s most definitely time to start throwing backyard bashes, and first on my list: a backyard movie night! The goal is to take that movie-watching party outside. I’ve always been a fan of movie nights – pajamas, popcorn, wine – what’s not to love? But taking the festivities outdoors gives the summer movie night a whole new twist, and a lot more space to decorate.
Plus, rumor has it, winter is real. Blame many many years of eighty-degree winters in Miami where I grew up, but I’m half-excited, half-terrified of an impending cold season. The terrified part is soaking up all summer has to offer, and planning family-friendly parties, you know, just because. After years of swooning over well-crafted outdoor movie nights and saving the ideas onto my someday party list, I think it’s high time I get to planning one of those outdoor movie nights of my own.
I love the idea of creating an outdoor bohemian vibe for a movie night: blankets and cushions to spread out on the floor, string lights, good snacks and drinks, and a stack of terrifically bad 90s movies.
Vintage Bulb String Lights | Popcorn | Pretzels | Moroccan Wedding Blanket Pillows, here and here | Pouf | Handira Wedding Blanket | Kraft Drink Carriers | Drink Bucket | Paddle Dip Set | Moroccan Lantern | Bamboo Chip & Dip Bowl
What You’ll Need to Host an Outdoor Movie Party:
- an outdoor movie projector
- a blank wall or hanging blanket/sheet/dropcloth to project onto
- cushions, blankets and chairs for your guests to sit on (loving these Mexican blankets!)
- snacks (buy a bunch of boxes of movie theater candy from your local drugstore – they’re usually on sale for around $1 each; pre-pop popcorn and put into bowls or paper bags so that everyone can easily grab some; serve other easy/fun summer foods (soft pretzels, veggies and dip, mini pizzas, an ice cream bar, nuts and chips, the list goes on an on)
- drinks (craft beer, wine, sodas and bottled water)
- fun touches like movie tickets and/or personalized concession boxes (optional)
So tell me: what parties are you throwing this Summer? Would you a host an outdoor movie night?