Fall mornings practically beg for a warm pumpkin muffin and a hot cup of coffee, and now that we have a baby, the simpler, the better. This week, I whipped up my first batch of pumpkin muffins (of the season, that is). I’ve made this recipe before, stuffed with marshmallows and topped with streusel, but this season, I wanted a breakfast version (sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar, because, you know … it is still a dessert after all.)
The Keurig® at-home brewing system is also saving us right now – fast, convenient cups of coffee at the push of a button. In honor of fall, my breakfast of choice: one of these warm pumpkin muffins and a hot cup of Starbucks® coffee (using a Starbucks® Vanilla K-Cup® Pack to be exact). I can’t think of a better way to unwind than with a home-baked muffin and a great cup of coffee. My baby girl cooing on my lap is just the icing on the cake. Man, I love fall.
CINNAMON-SUGAR PUMPKIN MUFFINS
Yields about 12 – 14 large Muffins
For the Muffins:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup peanut oil
1 can pumpkin (15 oz.)
1 1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour (I used 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 all-purpose flour)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
For the Cinnamon-Sugar Topping:
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease and flour (or spray with baking spray) a loaf pan or muffin tins (I used cupcake liners).
- Beat sugar with oil until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well. Continue beating until light and fluffy. Then mix in pumpkin on low speed.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients for the cake.
- Add dry ingredients into the wet mixture on low speed and mix well.
- Pour the dough into the prepared pan or muffin cups, being careful not to fill more than about halfway.
- Cinnamon Sugar Topping – In a small bowl, add the sugar and cinnamon, and stir to combine. Sprinkle the tops of the raw muffins just before putting into the oven.
- Bake for about 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan and finish cooling on a rack or plate.
These pumpkin muffins are the perfect breakfast muffin – moist and delicious, but not too sweet (if you’re looking for the sweeter version, definitely go for a marshmallow in the center and/or the streusel topping.) The cinnamon-sugar topping adds that little kick of sweetness and crunch on top. Paired with a cup of coffee = heaven.
The rich aromas and sweet flavors you love from Starbucks®, now brewing at home. Introducing two new K-Cup® flavors for fall, inspired by our café favorites.
LEGAL: Developed in partnership with Starbucks Coffee Company and their new Starbucks® K-Cup® packs. K-Cup® packs for use in Keurig® K-Cup® brewing systems. Keurig, the Cup and Star Design, Keurig Brewed, K-Cup and the Keurig brewer trade dress are trademarks of Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Inc., used with permission.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Starbucks Coffee Company, via Mode Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Starbucks Coffee Company.