I’ve been a real live grown-up for more than three years now, and one of the trickiest things about being a working girl – aside from doing your own laundry, taxes, and figuring out what’s for dinner – is finding the perfect work bag. Any working girl will tell you, the perfect work carryall is bizarrely hard to come by. Sometimes you find the perfect bag, but it’s just too heavy, or worse, professional-looking, without any fashion at all. Here are my criteria for the perfect work bag:
- Style. An ugly bag is an ugly bag is an ugly bag.
- Weight — this is a big one for me. I always fall head-over-heels in love with big, obnoxiously heavy bags, and that just won’t do in a typical 9-to-6.
- Pockets, and magic secret compartments … especially one for your cell phone, so that you’re not always doing the crazy I’ve-lost-my-phone-in-my-bag dance.
- Room for a laptop or ipad.
- I also really love the option of a messenger strap – for comfort’s sake.
- Structure. But that’s just personal preference.
- A bit of it factor. If I’m going to endure suits (blech!), I’m at least going to carry one heck of a great bag. Fabulous shoes don’t hurt either.
Bags, First Row: 3.1 Phillip Lim Pashli Satchel // Marc by Marc Jacobs Too Hot To Handle Colorblock Shopper // Michael Kors Collection Blake Large Satchel // Second Row: Diane von Furstenberg 440 Top Handle Embossed Croc Bag // 3.1 Phillip Lim 31 Hour Bag // Tory Burch Robinson Double Zip Tote