Or rather … The Pale Girl’s Guide to Faking A Perfect Tan.
Here’s the truth: I’m pale. So pale, I match my husband’s white cotton Hanes t-shirts. Casper pale. Like white on rice.
I identify with this scene from the movie The Waitress (which, if you haven’t seen, you must):
Becky: “As you can plainly see, my right boob is much higher than my left boob. And Dawn here has pasty, pasty skin. I’m stuck in a marriage to Droolin’ Phil the Invalid, and Dawn eats TV dinners alone, but still, we wouldn’t rather be you.”
Dawn: “I do have pasty, pasty skin.”
So you see, tanning beds, beaches, and outdoor exposure without a pound of sunscreen, an umbrella, and J-Lo-worthy hat, are out of the question for me.
But even I recognize the benefit of a sexy summer tan.
So I fake it.
A few tips for using sunless tanning lotions + sprays:
- – exfoliate before you apply product – you may even want to exfoliate well, several days before application (focus on areas that tend to be dry – i.e., elbows, knees – these are the areas where the tanning lotion appears worst)
- – moisturize like crazy, for the same reason
- – don’t apply sunless tanner right out of the shower – any moisture will cause the color to drip (think sweat as well)
- – take your time when applying
- – wash your hands frequently throughout application
- – wait at least 15 minutes after application before putting on clothes
- – look for “gradual color” tanners so that you can’t mess up too badly – I like the subtle gradual color tanners that give more of a shimmer (the dark tanners are great too, but they require a whole lot more patience … be warned!)
Do you rock the sunless tanner? Any brilliant tips or tricks?
Read up on all of my Philips summer “beauty cheats” here.
And for a chance at winning a $1,500 shopping spree, designer clothes, and the best in beauty, enter the Style Your Spring Sweepstakes at www.beauty.philips.com!
Second image found here.
Philips Satin Perfect is an innovative solution for women who are looking for a simple, at-home hair removal tool to ensure they are ready for any outfit at a moment’s notice. Satin Perfect is a cordless, total body epilator that removes even the shortest hairs in one stroke, so skin stays silky smooth for up to four weeks. It includes an extra-wide epilation head with textured ceramic discs to remove even the finest and shortest (.5MM) hairs. Visit www.Beauty.Philips.com for more information on Philips female hair removal products.
*Compensation was provided by Philips via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Philips.